Saturday, 23 June 2012

Steinenberg 4a

Burgfelderstrasse 190

Removed ca. winter 2012

Picassoplatz 6

More Information (TBC)


Sankt Alban-Vorstadt 25

Sankt Alban-Vorstadt 47-49

More Information
Location: Corner of Mill Mountain / St. Alban quarter
Artists / in: no information 
In operation since: 2nd Half of the 18th Century (Original) / 1938 (copy)
listed building: Yes, since 1915
History / Description: The well has a square-shaped trough, which is rounded at the corners. The column of wells stick sticking out of the two water pipes, is divided into three parts. The lower and upper part is decorated with protruding rectangles. The middle section has a laurel container and the column with an urn, which is hung round with a pile fabric, crowned. Behind the fountain there is a house "for Schoeneck," which was built between 1840 and 1844 led by Melchior Berri.
Special: The trough of limestone is 5 x 5 meters. Until 1935 this was the fountain with the largest trough in Basel.

Sankt Alban-Vorstadt 49-51

Sankt Alban-Vorstadt 80A

Dated 1902
More information (TBC)

Sankt Alban-Vorstadt 52

more information (TBC)



Sankt Alban-Vorstadt 84

Sankt Alban-Kirchrain

Sankt Alban-Tal

Sunday, 17 June 2012


More Information
Location: Courtyard on St. Peter's School House, Church Square, Peter 5 / Stiftgasse
Artist: Otto Abbot is in operation since 1934
Listed: no 
History / description: The trough has the shape of a semicircle. Protrude from the wall two gargoyles above the trough and is a beautiful mural installed. The work called "Sunrise" comes from Otto Abbot and shows a crowing rooster, which is surrounded by beautiful countryside. 
Special: Nearby is the St. Peter's Square, where take place regularly on Saturdays, a large flea market. (Except during the Autumn Fair)

Nadelberg 29

More Information
Location: The Needle 29 
Artists / in: no information
In operation since: 1831 (1841 inscribed on trough)
listed: no 
History / Description: The fountain stands in a niche on the needle mountain that was already in 1241 as "In Monte dicto Needle" known. Around the spout is an ornament. Above the fountain is an urn, which in turn has its own niche. 
Special: This district is characterized by many ancient houses.

Leonhardsgraben 3 (Nymph)

More Information
Location: Leonhardsgraben 3 (through a green gate / walk easily hidden)
Artists / in: no information
in operation since: Half of the 19th century
listed: no 
History / Description: In the middle of the back wall of the courtyard is the fountain-nymphs. The nymph of cast iron, which is crowned with flowers and leaves, stands on an octagonal plinth, located above the semi-circular trough. The water pours from a pitcher, which she holds in her hands. The niche is well above and around the well is completed with a triangular pediment.
Special: The Fountain can be visited only on weekdays during the day. At first glance it is difficult to see, because cars are often parked in front of her.

Leonhardsgraben (Vinos de Espana)

Im Lohnhof


Steinenvorstadt 27

More Information
Location: Steinenvorstadt, before House 27
Artist / in: Balthasar Hüglin (suspected; Original) / Carl Gutknecht (1st copy)
In operation since: 1672 (original) / 1925 (copy) / 1968 (year) / 1994 (renovated)
listed: Yes, since 1915
History / Description: The fountain floor is divided into three parts. The lower section has masks and the middle part is decorated with cherubs. The upper part is fitted with a bunch of flowers and fruit. This fountain is crowned by a shield-bearer armed with sword. He is the Count of Thierstein named Oswald, who led the war of the Burgundian nobles against Charles the Bold. The sign of the four letters SPQP means "senatus populusque basiliensis" and indicates that the Council and the people who built the well. One side of the flag is the coat of arms "to weavers' guild" and the other decorated with the Baslerstab. In addition to the foot of the standard bearer is a hedgehog. Previously Igelbälge were used as a tool for the production of "gray cloth". The hedgehog is therefore to be found still on the weavers banner. Since 1925, the original of the fountain stick along with the standard bearer is kept in the Historical Museum.
Special: With one exception - in Schwyz - were from 18 Century no more fountains crowned with  standard-bearers in Switzerland.