Wednesday, 28 December 2011

Missionstrasse 2

Comments: Dated 1862.
More Information
Location: Mission Street, in front of Building 12
Artists / in: no information (restored) 1862/1967: 
In operation since listed: no 
History / Description: The Salt and Pepper fountain, owes its name to its resemblance to an oversized salt and pepper container, was created in 1862 in this place. In addition to two semi-circular side of the fountain pool has a main pool, which is decorated with a Baslerstab. 
Special: Nearby is the imposing Spalentor, which belonged to the city walls of Basel in 1400. At the front gate, there was once a drawbridge that led across a ditch, which is also still available. Unfortunately, the surface of the trench, over which an applied way, in recent decades - have become ever smaller, but a piece has been preserved for posterity - due to road construction.


Comments: Dated 1847.
More Information
Location: St. Peter's Square / Spalengraben
Artist: Heinrich Rudolf Meili 
In operation since: 1847 (fountain) / 1865 (figure) 
listed: no 
History / Description: From 1676 to 1847 was here a fountain, which was crowned with the war god Mars. 1847 of these wells had to be replaced and an octagonal fountain of limestone was placed at that location. It took eighteen years, was given to the well his new character. It is an archer who has the crossbow down over the left shoulder and wearing a plumed hat on his head. The population sees in himself the hero William Tell. With its size, this is one of the largest fountains in Basel.
Special: 1925 the left hand had to be replaced because they had fallen. Something curious happened in 1943: A worker who has just cleaned the figure, made ​​an awkward movement and coincided with the figure down into the water. The figure could be repaired by Karl Muck ... the fate of the worker could unfortunately not locate ...


Comments: Dated 1779.
More Information
Location: St. Peter's Square / page Petersgraben Artists / in: no information
In operation since: 1779 
listed building: Yes, since 1915 
History / Description: The fountain is named after the nearby "Zum Grabeneck", which was built in 1767. On the floor fountain is an urn with a bud as a crown. The octagonal fountain basin is one of the largest in the city. The old trees in the square to give the fountain a dignified setting.
Special: At St. Peter's Square takes place regularly on Saturdays, a large flea market. (Except during the Autumn Fair)


Comments: Building next door is dated 1573.
More Information
Location: Peter Lane 27 (Peter Street in the direction of Peter Church Square)
Artists / in: no information
In operation since: 1873
listed: no 
History / Description: The well has a hexagonal trough, which leans to one side of a wall. From the column stands a fountain spouts water. Prior to 1871 were already at least two other wells at that place. The name of the well received because of the former owner of the nearby properties, the pharmacist Henman Offenburg, who died in 1459
Special: This district is characterized by many ancient houses.


Comments: "Gebändigte Kraft" (Restrained Potential), Willi Hege (1907-1976), Commissioned 1940
More Information
Location: mirror yard / street level (go through a passage)
Artist: Willy Hege
In operation since: 1941 
listed: no 
History / Description: The bronze sculpture shows a dying dragon and knight to remember George. This seems to be already broken new acts. The broken lance the poisonous serpent through the mouth and was also drilled through the neck, has the bold knight left behind. With the motto "Restrained violence," said the artist, the power of evil.
Special features: The first Hauung broke the granite block and had to be replaced by a new one. The granite block weighed before Hauung seven tons.


Comments: Dated 1873
More Information
Location: Flower Rain, next house 24
Artist: Carl Gutknecht (4 replica of the figure)
In operation since: 1448 (original) / beginning of the 16th Century (first replica of the figure) / 1873 (all wells renewed) / 1911 (figure replaced by a copy) / 1953 (4 replica of the figure)

listed building: Yes, since 1915 

History / Description: Already since 1448 is the St. Urbans-wells in the same place. In 1873 the original due to the bad condition but had to be replaced by a copy. The fountain was on his list of the Vine and Wine welcomes people vividly as the patron saint. It is believed that is the figure of Pope Urban I, who died from 222 to 230 in the holy chair and sat a martyr. That it must be in plastic to a pope must be to recognize the three-piece crown Pope. Pope Urban I. has his own feast day of the middle period of the flowering vines, namely on 25 May By 1830, inexplicably stopped the custom of dressing up the plastic on this festive day, they decorate with flowers in one hand and a glass of white and give the other a glass of red wine. It rained all day not in this wine, it promised a good vintage. In 1911, the second was released into the replica of the Urban History Museum.

St. Johanns-Vorstädt 34/25

More Information
Location: St. John's suburb, next to House 34/25 compared to home
Artist: Otto Roos (Nachhauung) 
in operation since 16 or 17 Century (figure) / 1866 (trough) / 1924 (Nachhauung) 
listed building: Yes, since 1915 

History / Description: It's a big secret, when the 'Lazy maid-figure "was created. It is estimated between 16 and 17 Century. 1727 appears in the files of a "fountain of lazy servant" on. By 1866 the figure was well out of sand stone already on two other wells. In 1924 the figure was reproduced by sculptor Roos, because the original - because of their poor condition - has been given to the Historical Museum. The watering trough is octagonal, and decorated the outside with various patterns. 

Special: Nearby is the St. John Bridge, which connects the district Grossbasel "suburbs" with the district Kleinbasel "Matthew".

St. Johanns-Platz

More Information
Location: St. John's Square / St. John's suburb
Artist: Heinz Fiorese 
In operation since: 1949
listed: no 
History / Description: A bronze statue shows a boy with a long nose, also flows from the water and the other a water-spouting head goose. Both are characters from a fairy tale by Wilhelm Hauff: A boy laughs at the market from a woman because of her big nose. He is therefore by this woman, a herb fairy, transformed and taken to her castle. After a few years he comes - as Dwarf Nose - back home, but nobody can recognize him. He returns to the castle. There he can rescue a princess who has been transformed into a goose, in the frying pan. The goose helps him, therefore, to find a certain little herb, so it can be converted back into "normal state". The goose head should now recall the rescue of the dwarf.

Special: The opposite St. John's Gate was part of the fortifications of 1400.



St. Johann's Tor

More Information
Location: St. John's Square / Elsässer, Tram stop
Artists / in: no information
In operation since: not available
listed: no 
History / Description: The fountain has an octagonal bowl. The well column, which rises from a water spout in the form of a fish is topped with a plate.
Special: Opposite the fountain is located in the "St. Johanns-Park", which was opened in 1992. In the last two centuries were in this area include a cemetery, a slaughterhouse, and finally settled, the city gardening. After a short walk across the park to reach the Rhine River, which in turn invites you to stay longer.


Comment: In the grounds of a school.