Sunday, 30 October 2011


Comment: "Seelöwe (Sealion)" by Willi Hege (1907-1976). Commissioned by the Water Company 1957.
More Information
Location: Bonfolstrasse / Oltingerstrasse
Artist: Willy Hege
In operation since: 1957
listed: no 
History / Description: The sculpture shows a sea lion, from whose mouth the water flows. The trough has rounded edges.

Special features: The station "Belforterstrasse" the bus line 38 is very close to the fountain. If the operation of this line is set, a small walk from the bus stop "St. Thomas 'Church' of the bus line 36 is necessary.


Kannenfeldpark 1

Comments: Sculpture by Vera von Reitzenstein, 1924. without title. Acquired by Basel Stadt 1962.
More Information
Location: In Kannenfeldpark
Artist: Vera jaw Reitzenstein 
In operation since: 1959 
listed: no 
History / Description: The fountain is a combination of three elements: it is simultaneously climbing frame, paddling pool and water fountain. The sculpture shows a ball, on which stands a structure of rods. The park was built on the site of the old cemetery "optional field", and in addition some 700 trees, an outdoor stage on even several children's playgrounds.
Special: The Fountain can be visited only during the day.


Location: Market Square, opposite Freiestrasse
Artist: Hans Mähly
In operation since: 1932
listed: no
History / Description: The rectangular fountain made ​​of stone has a "column" with two gargoyles in the middle. Even in the modern world, he still fulfilled important tasks for the market people.
Special: Even before 1191 took place here markets. The market sentiment is very impressive and puts one a bit in the world of "yesterday".
Second Location: Market Square, opposite Eisengasse

Saturday, 29 October 2011


Location: Fish Market Artist: John Parler (III)
in operation since: late 14th century / 1468 (refurbished) / 1974 (restored) 
listed building: Yes, since 1915 
History / Description: The fish market is well into the professional world as the most beautiful Gothic fountain in Switzerland. 24 figures once adorned the fountain. Fortunately, today is still 22 (!) Get it. There are 13 angels, 6 and 3 Holy Prophet. The three main characters are Mary and Child, a scepter in his hand, Peter, standing with the key and the Evangelist John dar. The corner pillars of justice, perseverance and love. The wells must be maintained regularly with love. The last major renovation was in the 1971-1974 program, as the gilding had to be renewed.
Special: There was a long dispute over who should have because now built the well. Long thought to be it was Jacob Sarbach. In a book about Basel sculptures from the 15th and 16 Century could be convincing proof erbacht that it must be either John Parler (III). Slightly ironically, it was noted that Jacob could be Sarbach hardly more than responsible for the renovation ...


More Information
Location: Spalenberg vis-à-vis Rosshofgasse Artist: Numa Donzé (picture)
In operation since: 1839 (fountain) / 1919 (picture)
listed building: Yes, since 1915 
History / Description: This is the largest niche fountain of Basel. The two columns must support the overlying building. Thanks to the symmetrical arrangement of the columns they fall while looking at the fountain not as disruptive. The mural by the painter Numa Donzé shows excerpts from the life of John the Baptist.
Special: The Spalenberg is known for its numerous small shops.

Spalenvorstadt - Schutzenmattstrasse

More Information
Location: Corner of Spalenvorstadt / Schützenmattstrasse
Artist: Jean Hym (Nachhauung)
in operation since about 1550 (original) / 1886 (copy) 
listed building: Yes, since 1915 
History / Description: The bottom of the column of the fountain is a replica of the "peasant dance" by Hans Holbein the Younger The column is crowned by a bagpiper. Basis for the piper for the artist was no doubt a dated from 1514 engraving by Albrecht Durer. The original of the bagpipe is preserved since 1885 at the Historical Museum.
Special: During the summer time, the bottom shell decorated with flowers.

Burgfelden Grenze

Established : 1966
Artist: William Bubeck

History / Description: The Basilisk Fountain preceded alongside the so-called "valve-spring", where you, the scarce water due, could see only through a valve restricts water or the "floor fountain" (Fountain Guide reference: 126). The floor fountain could not convince the population. Therefore, in the 1880s, a new competition was announced, which produced the successful Basilisk well as winners. There are 50 copies were made of. The basilisk is made of bronze and the rest of cast iron. The water flows from the mouth of the basilisk in the round pool that is decorated on the outside with various patterns. The floor base is urn-shaped and is below even a bowl was attached to dogs. Today there are 28 Basilisk wells that are on public property and on a few other private areas.
Special: Since 16 May 2002 is in the Basel community "Anwil" a brand new basilisk fountain. Although the municipality has only 500 souls, she is very well known. It owes its reputation to the "Basel-song", where it is in the first verse as "Ammel" mentioned then the community popularly called. 1832 there was a vote to separate whether Anwil of the city of Basel and the landscape should connect. The Basel government courted each vote and promised the Anwilern a church if they would decide to remain with the city. The decision was unanimously in favor of the city. Rumor has it that the bread basket of the Basel silk armies have probably played the more important role than the promise for the Church ... In 1833, the separation was but nevertheless concluded. The words of flora and fauna had to atone for their venality. 2001 remembered the former mayor of flora and fauna Heini Schaffner the city of Basel on their promise. Of flora and fauna that would indeed no church, they go even today after Oltingen to church, but a fountain would be a very nice symbol. In May 2002, the 170 year old debt was paid in the preparation of the basilisk fountain. He is an icon for the connection between town and country.