Comments: Dated 1784. Seen during Herbstmesse.
Off the beaten path: No.
Location: Cathedral Square Artist: Paolo Antonio Pisoni
In operation since: 1784/1937 (replaced by a copy)
listed building: Yes, since 1915
History / Description: As early as 1266 there was a fountain at this location. This - you take on wood - well was replaced in 1315 by a stone fountain. As a result of acts of vandalism at night (!) In 1503, he so badly damaged that a new well in 1504 called "Old George Fountain" was. 1782 this was in such poor condition that he has been replaced in 1784 by the "Pisonibrunnen". The new wells, however, could only be put into operation in 1785, because the suppliers were in arrears with the well pipes. The two heads on the side of the trough is "Uristiere".
Special feature: A walk on the nearby Palatine, offers a fabulous view over Basel and the region, a tour of the cathedral or a tower climbing (current opening times) can be recommended highly.